Wednesday, September 7, 2016

The Passion Project: Why I Love Project A-ko


I’ll be brief, as I get uncomfortable writing things like this. I can’t shake the thought of someone bursting in, announcing “Nobody asked for your opinion” and giving me both barrels. As well he should. (Also, Danny and Findlay will be raging that I’m talking about an anime instead of some shitey fuckin’ straight-to-skip horror film sequel. What’s up with those lads, anyway? Geez Louise!)




Project A-ko (1986) was the first anime film I ever saw. Back in the days where every single thing from Japan was called MANGA. Even Japanese cars. (My own father drove a Mitsubishi MANGA.) It is a parody film, and the references to other anime flew over my head. They still do. Despite this, or because of this, it was an ideal introduction to Japanese animation. What I was treated to was a showcase of what to expect from anime: mech battles, high school hijinks, incomprehensibly huge action setpieces, catastrophes wiping out millions of lives in a flash, and underpants.
None of these things are why I really like Project A-ko, though. There’s a strong nostalgic side to it, of course. But the appeal of the film for me is that it was a film that wasn’t written, but arranged on a storyboard. It began production without a script; the film didn’t have a writer. The director allowed everyone to make suggestions – character designers, animators, sound designers – and anything that was met with group approval went straight into the film. Democratic anarchy.

Project A-ko’s producer, Kazufumi Nomura, happy to dismiss convention.


Such reckless abandon shouldn’t result in a film as competent as Project A-ko. During its production, word got around that some young group of rookies were working on a film that was a no-holds-barred spectacle where animators were free to do as they pleased. Many eager young talents signed up to show their stuff. No-one was there for the 9 – 5 anymore, this was a passion project for a group of people wanting to make their mark in an industry they felt had grown stagnant or dull. Many of the Project A-ko staff believed anime had become too dramatic, and were keen to have some fun.


For a long time, if you were an animator with ideas, you put them on hold while working on what you were told to do. Then maybe someday you’d be a director. Even then, your ideas may never see the light of day should a studio decide to pass it up. Today, thanks to readily available digital animation software, this limitation has been bypassed. With YouTube and Vimeo, more and more amazing independent animators are given the opportunity to express themselves to a wide audience. (There was Newgrounds, though that was still a relatively tight-knit community rather than a place to show the world your talents.) Watching Project A-ko, I see the same passion for animation that I see today from young animators making whatever they feel will show what they’re capable of. And to achieve that in the days of cels and paint and cameras and film, it’s nothing short of inspiring.


And as if the visuals weren’t enough, there’s the original soundtrack. Now look, I clearly don’t know how to write about films. So I probably know even less about how to write about music. I won’t embarrass myself by trying. I’ll just tell you that I absolutely love it and provide a photo from the studio it was recorded in.

The good stuff.

I suddenly realise I haven’t said what the film is about. Hope you enjoyed all that READING! Later, losers. (Ha ha, but seriously folks!) It’s not about anything, really. Not being late for school, mostly – then aliens invade. Don’t worry too much about it, the staff sure as hell didn’t. And yet it was a hit. Awards, sequels and merchandise – including manga, (not cars) a tabletop RPG and (gasp) an interactive CD-ROM! I’ll now leave you with the film’s director, Katsuhiko Nishijima:








- Owen 

No comments:

Post a Comment