Monday, September 26, 2016

Blair Witch: Resurgence


The Blair Witch Project was the first horror of my generation that I remember becoming part of the zeitgeist. So it was nice to finally have something to talk about with my peers, even if most hated it, even if I got the living pish kicked out me for liking it. All that mattered was I came out the cinema that day a complete wreck, and it felt great.

 Mary Brown feelin’ great.

The Blair Witch Project’s pioneering viral marketing campaign was so successful that audiences were unable to determine whether or not the footage they were watching was real. A modern sequel was never going to be sold like the original, especially in a climate where social media is ubiquitous and the majority of folk using it are chomping at the opportunity to spoil things for others because nobody will touch their genitals.

In an unusually creative turn for a commercially released film, Blair Witch was initially shot and marketed as The Woods. The actual title wasn’t revealed until its first public screening at Comic-Con; the audience thought they were watching a random horror called The Woods. Nice touch, lads.

The lads, writer Simon Barrett (left) and director Adam Wingard (right).

Wingard and Barrett are the most exciting and consistent collaborators in the genre, so when a teaser for their new film The Woods was released I got intense palpies. Imagine the nick of me when I found out it was actually a direct sequel to one of my favourite horrors; I felt like the mouse that caught the Babybel or whatever. The original had some potential to build upon and I knew these lads were perfect for the job.

The Blair Witch Project was also the first commercial found footage film and on a superficial level it focused primarily on people being lost in the woods. After a few watches I tapped into the metaphysical subtext, these people weren’t simply walking in circles and finding themselves back at the same spot - they were falling deeper and deeper into the curse they were already fated to live and die through, a nine circles of hell sort of deal but on a far less operatic scale. The idea of capturing something like that on physical media still fascinates me, these crusty students getting lost in the woods didn’t just take a photo of a ghost, they captured another realm.

Mike going tonto at the first circle. Coward.

When I sat down to Blair Witch I tried my best to mute all expectations, which I’ll tell you right now ruined any chance I had of fully enjoying the giant Aero I just bought from Poundland. The last film Wingard and Barrett made was one of my favourites of the decade and Blair Witch was a sequel to one of the best horrors of all time for fuck’s sake. But I was immediately relieved when Blair Witch picked up on the metaphysical theme in the opening five minutes. They presented the notion that the house the missing crusties found at the end of the original never existed, despite countless search parties on foot and in the sky. They were instantly on the ball and I could enjoy what was left of my Aero.

In addition to the perpetual progress of technology, the entire found footage format that The Blair Witch Project pioneered has changed, they were never going to be able to pull off the hoax of the original, so if the jig’s up, what do you do? Blair Witch didn’t follow the tracks of its predecessor, there was no shoehorned fan service, instead, it developed themes and tones, but most importantly, Wingard and Barrett appreciated that what fundamentally made the original work was simply how terrifying it was.

Mind that? Mind how terrifying that was? Fucked me right up for months.

Blair Witch isn’t a film about people getting lost in the woods, it’s a film about people being chased through the woods. It excels at being


I’m gutted that creative marketing, inventive storytelling and carefully crafted raw fear have proven fruitless and haven’t cracked the wall of mainstream homogenised horror. People just don’t know how good they could have it.



-Danny




No comments:

Post a Comment